Drama and Theatre Studies
Drama at ISG Jubail is a hands on, action-packed, group oriented study of ensemble skills, physical, and vocal communication and performance skills, disguised as fun. All grade levels begin with an orientation unit, where class expectations are established, and a positive atmosphere of mutual respect, and creative security is established. Only then can we begin to explore specific units in any degree of depth. Therefore, course outlines are flexible to reflect the capabilities and interests of a class. The more co-operative, positive and hardworking a group is, the more in depth and advanced their drama program can become.
Drama 6 – Introduction to Drama – Full Year
Students in Grade 6 will develop or extend understanding of the following concepts through participation in various drama experiences:
ELEMENTS OF DRAMA
• Role/Character: considering in depth the inner and outer life in developing a character; differentiating between authentic characters and stereotypes; using gestures and movement to convey character
• Relationship: analyzing and portraying how relationships influence character development/change
• Time and Place: establishing a clear setting; sustaining belief in the fictional setting
• Tension: using sound, light, technology, and stage effects to heighten tension/suspense
• Focus and Emphasis: using drama conventions to reveal or communicate key emotions, motivations, perspectives, and ideas to the audience.
Assessment will be based on: journals/written work, audience skills, rehearsal skills, performance and special research/projects as required.
Possible units include: movement, group drama, dance, mime, choral speech, storytelling and puppetry.
Through participating in and reflection on dramatic experiences, each student will develop emotionally, physically, intellectually, imaginatively, aesthetically and socially, and will develop a positive self- concept.
1. acquire knowledge of self and others
2. develop competency in communication skills
3. develop an appreciation of drama and theatre as a process and art form
Drama 6 includes the following disciplines: