Drama at ISG Jubail is a hands on, action-packed, group oriented study of ensemble skills, physical, and vocal communication and performance skills, disguised as fun. All grade levels begin with an orientation unit, where class expectations are established, and a positive atmosphere of mutual respect, and creative security is established. Only then can we begin to explore specific units in any degree of depth. Therefore, course outlines are flexible to reflect the capabilities and interests of a class. The more co-operative, positive and hardworking a group is, the more in depth and advanced their drama program can become.
Drama 8 – Acting, Improvisation and Scripts – 1 Term
Students in Grade 8 will develop or extend understanding of the following concepts through participation in various drama experiences:
ELEMENTS OF DRAMA
• Role/Character: analysing the background, motivation, speech, and actions of characters to build roles; using voice, stance, gesture, and facial expression to portray character
• Relationship: analysing relationships to develop the interplay between characters
• Time and Place: using props, costumes, and furniture to establish setting; modifying production elements to suit different audiences
• Tension: using various stage effects to produce specific audience reactions
• Focus and Emphasis: using a wide range of devices to highlight the central theme for the audience; making deliberate artistic choices to sharpen focus.
Assessment will be based on: journals/written work, audience skills, rehearsal skills, performance and special research/projects as required.
Possible units include: drama skill development, characterization, theatre history, TBA (a project of the class’s choice), scene study and final project.
Through participating in and reflection on dramatic experiences, each student will develop
emotionally, physically, intellectually, imaginatively, aesthetically and socially, and will develop a
positive self- concept.
1. acquire knowledge of self and others
2. develop competency in communication skills
3. develop an appreciation of drama and theatre as a process and art form
Drama 8 includes the following disciplines: